Bloody Far

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Blast From The Past

Tupperware Parties.

Like dial-up and cheap petrol and Tyrannosaurus Rex, I thought these did no longer exist. Little did I know that they are alive and well, right here in Australia, thriving amongst suburban and city women alike, in search of companionship and a 500 gram cereal dispenser. Imagine my surprise when I received an (oxymoronic) email invitation to this apparently oft-occuring but seldom mentioned all-women event. Resembling a curious inqusitive child visiting the museum of corded phones, VHS tapes, and manual car windows, I accepted, wondering how this icon of the 50's had evolved, anticipating new and improved ways of keeping my potatoes dry and my cupboards neat.

My preconceived notion about this domestic adventure (besides that Tupperware was a relic of the past) was that they were one excuse for a bunch of ladies to get together without their husbands or significant others or their diets, and eat and drink and shamelessly giggle about everything and nothing and plastic containers. Such a notion was partially alluded to in the invitation, disguised as an suggestion for all to bring a sweet or savory creation in their Tupperware (also a clever euphemism for potluck!). This was also, in part, verified upon entering the kitchen, where brightly frosted cupcakes were lined up, just waiting for a rebellious finger to steal a smidgen of their sugary tops. And not a single guest ignored the suggestion - they all arrived with Tupperware in tow, fat with savory mini quiches and corn pancakes and crudites, and sweet chocolate cake and reallllly good brownies. The wine appeared and the giggling began.

In all earnestness, the Tupperware Lady began her sales pitch, but my impression was that these were products that would sell themselves. Although helpful in explaining the purpose and usage of the various contraptions, the TL could have just sat and taken orders from the swarm of container-starved women armed with cash and credit (and some chardonnay). I was truly surprised at the necessity to purchase large volumes of high-quality yet expensive plastics - enough to earn the hostesses some pretty sweet freebies, and prompt some others to host their own party-plan sales undertaking. You, too, can earn extra money and provide a valuable service or product while simultaneously bonding with your girlfriends! Yay!

And yes, I caved, I yielded to this retail influenza and will be returning to the hostess to retrieve my paid-for vegetable crispers. Sssshhh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home