Bloody Far

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Bondi Babes

I am old and fat and totally not hip.

Well, not really (on all 3 counts anyway), but that was how I felt after I first arrived in New South Wales in the "suburb" of Bondi Junction, where the average age is unfathomably young and said youngsters are excruciatingly tanned and beautiful and fit looking, enough to make me want to just throw in the towel and be resigned to a life of unhipness and accept the gray hair and the seat offered to me on the bus by someone calling me ma'am. Okay, that doesn't happen but just thinking about it gives me gray hair ...

Being from California, I would have thought that it was it was not humanly possible to be more tanned and beautiful and fit looking than Californians (please note - myself EXcluded!). But there I was, slack-jawed, mouth agape at what was unmistakenly proving my previously long held idea completely wrong. Had I known my self esteem would be eroded away (each day more vigorously than the last) by the realization I was old, fat, and unhip, I might have just stayed inside the airconditioned confines of the serviced Meriton apartment I had for the first month, and watched 9 AM with David and Kim and Ready Steady Cook. Repeatedly.

I suppose that anywhere within a 10 kilometer radius of Bondi Beach the Bondi babes are inescapable. Nowhere less heavily concentrated outside the sandy coast do they socialize/gather/show off their bronzed bodies than the gym. Of course, I happened to join the super ultimate exclusive and young Fitness First Platinum located in Westfield Bondi Junction, which happens to be the most monstrous mall I have ever seen in my life; 2 enormous buildings, 6 stories high, occupied with more shoes and skirts and singlets and mobile phones than human consumption could possibly utilize ... and yet these young tanned things use them all, it seems. All the women wear breezy gauzy long layered skirts and two tank tops at a time, effortlessly chic and casual and I SO could not wear that ... with flip flops nonetheless. EVERYONE wears flip flops - men, women, young, old - and I think that everyone owns about 23 pairs to go with everything.

Needless to say, even though I have not been in all of the larger suburbs of Sydney, I think I can say with confidence that those looking to see and be seen, to gather amongst the beautiful people, and to spend a few dollars (well, heaps) on matching flip flops, Bondi Junction is the place to visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home