Bloody Far

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Perspective

At the annual Christmas Eve's Eve dinner with my Dad, his Significant Other (SO) and my brothers (minus one brother and his wife this year), much to my amusement conversation focused on many of the differences between the US and Australia. From comments a neighbouring diner might have overheard, they might think we were going to an alien planet. "Do they use dollars?" "I'm looking for a book that explains Australian English..." "What do they look like?" Okay, not that last one, but you get the picture. My biased opinion is that most Americans are not well travelled and thus have a very narrow view of the world outside their microcosm that is the US. I would have to say that I am guilty of this as well, and have only recently begun to open my eyes to the possibility that yes, there is a whole other unbelievably beautiful and truly awesome world out there, with enough culture and art and peoples and places to experience and fill every moment and every day of the rest of your life. Yes there are many things to "see and do" in the US, but I'm not sure I understand what the reason is behind this lack of desire or motivation to leave the land of your birth, if just for a visit. Is it fear? Laziness? Disinterest?
Fortunately, most of my friends and acquaintances that know I am going are supportive/envious/excited for me. Perhaps some of them will be motivated enough to come, if just for a visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home