Bloody Far

Friday, April 07, 2006

Tasty Beverage

I dream about coffee.

I think about it after I wake, I ponder where I will go, to where I will venture to satisfy my fixation, my need, my virtual I.V. of caffeine and a strong, dark roast. I am enslaved by it, a morning zombie in a sea of zombies dressed in dark suits and knee-length skirts, posturing as professionals conducting business, meeting others to engage in professional things. This is a facade, plain and simple. Most of them, I strongly believe, do not have blood running thorough their veins delivering oxygen and nutrients, but rather it is coffee, delivering the buzz and stimulation to sustain them ... until 3 pm, when they will return to replenish.

A fair dinkum Aussie had no qualms in telling me that her fellow Aussies are, in no uncertain terms, coffee snobs. Admittedly being from the land of a Starbucks on every corner (sometimes two), this is an appellation foreign to me. Although there exist independent establishments and comparatively miniscule chains, in California Starbucks is the monolithic monopoly which very few openly or effectively oppose. And, under no circumstances would I have even imagined that anyone could have more coffee shops than San Francisco. Once again I have been proven unmistakably WRONG. But happily so, because there is a plethora of choices ... I could not experience them all even if I discovered a different one every day for a year.

Unquestionably my palate is not so sophisticated that it can discern subtle differences in the taste and quality of coffee, but that certainly doesn't mean I am without an opinion! Within my microcosmic existence thus far in Sydney, I have happily sniffed and sipped and savored a few of the available local offerings, in addition to noting the accompanying service.

Rosso (Galeries Victoria): I would say this is in the "atrium" of the Galeries, with tables lining the perimeter of the gaping maw to the bottom floor. The first time the cashier seemed like he could not be bothered, but on a subsequent visit he was exceedingly polite and attentive. The coffee is BIG. And I mean in size - a large is really large! And good, but not outstanding.

Mio Espresso Bar (Galeries Victoria): If you blink you might miss this one. Cramped, tiny, but my single cappuccino purchase was tasty and a bit stronger than most (that is how I prefer it), and they are fast, efficient, friendly, and a bit cheaper than the others.

Manetti's (Queen Victoria Building/QVB): Although the woman behind the counter didn't seem like she was having a great morning, she was speedy and the coffee was hot (which I also prefer, as opposed to lukewarm as so many seem to be). As this is close to the exit/entrance of the Town Hall train station, it is not the ideal environment, but you can certainly people watch all day.

Rossini (Australia Square - Bond and George Streets): There are 3 baristas that I believe have never left the counter. The same 3 are there everytime I go, and they have coffee making down to a science. They line up the lids, sometimes 12 or more deep, and know exactly who ordered what, despite the hovering horde of look alike blue pinstriped suits and slick blond ponytails.

Bar Italia (Leichhardt): Perhaps the java here was so good because it was full fat milk (I usually have skim ... shhhh!) with a thick frothy foam and full bodied feel ... or because it was Vittoria coffee (pretty good, in my experience) ... or because I had read/heard good reviews about it. Regardless, attempt to ignore the less than elegant surroundings and enjoy. Try a panini too!

Berkelouw Cafe (Leichhardt): As are most cafes on Norton Street, this one is not exactly what you might call intimate or quiet, but the staff is helpful, the coffee is decent, and there is a great bookstore attached. I have not tried any of the sandwiches or salads offered, but they look a bit tired, greasy, and unenticing.

Primo Espresso Caffe, Italian Forum (Leichhardt): If you want a peaceful little cafe, even though it is on the second level overlooking an enormous courtyard, this is one place that has good, hot, strong coffee. If rating the coffee only, this would be one of the best, although I have no idea if it is because of the brand (Vittoria) or the Italian lady that made it for me.

O'Brien's (North Strathfield): Besides every employee smiling and greeting and exhibiting pleasantness, the plus side of this eatery is that you can order a really fresh and delicious toasted sandwich to go with your coffee. And they give you a small square of minty chocolate (sweet!).

Michel's Patisserie (chain): I'm no coffee snob, but this would never be my first choice, unless it were my only choice. It will do in a pinch, but I have not been impressed by the coffee, and sometimes not the service. But they do have those scrumptious caramel slices. Yum.

Gloria Jean's (chain): See above. In addition, the one time I dared to try (I had no choice, I was in a mall!), the barista, and I use this term loosely, was so busy pounding the foaming jug on the counter and looking around and chatting ... oh nevermind.

Certainly, similar to oenophilia, the love of java is subjective ... for a coffee simpleton like myself, all I need to know is that it is readily available and at my disposal. Yet I will happily endeavor to hone my coffee rating skills by seeking il piu bene. Ciao.

Check them out on Google Maps.

1 Comments:

  • Hello Oz Jill from another American in Australia! I found your blog while I was searching for sites to add to my
    Yanks Down Under Webring
    Hope you don't mind if I add your site too?

    Loved reading your posts, it reminds me very much of when I first came here a few years ago.

    Cheers and check out my main site if you're interested:
    http://p3.forumforfree.com/yanksdownunder.html

    By Blogger outoutout, at 5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home