Bloody Far

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Sidebar: Foodies REJOICE!!

I LOVE DAVID JONES.

No, David Jones is not some ruggedly handsome or affluent charming Aussie bloke. David Jones is a massive brick and mortar retail conglomerate with enough shiny gorgeous attractive offerings to distract even the most focused suited starchy-collared Sydney banker or broker or business person and launch them into an unprecedented "OhmygodIvediedandgonetoheaven!!" spasmodic joy. Alas, it is merely a chain of multi-storied high end shops, not dissimilar to Nordstrom in the States.

I can summarize my adoration of David Jones (DJs) in one word. Foodhall. I cannot deny the desire for a sweet pair of boots or the perfect shimmery Saturday night spaghetti strap top, or even a fantastic quality German made washing machine with the most delicate of delicate cycles to wash such a top ... but for Foodies everywhere, this is the place to be, the place to go, the place that makes you feel like you have found your paradise. Admittedly, my love for such establishments extends far beyond what may be perceived as rational ... yet I make no apologies for my addiction-like inescapable draw towards all things food.

I used to knead, package and slice in a generic national grocery chain bakery-deli, engulfed in all things gluten and glazed and sold by the pound. Perhaps this is where my adoration was born and subsequently blossomed (ballooned!) ... but nothing could have prepared me for DJs. In all seriousness, it has the most impressive and breathtaking bakery I have ever seen, with professional tiered wedding cakes to an entire cookie store, to some of the most delicious breads and scrumptious looking tortes, enough to put you in a diabetic coma on sight.

There are as may bars as populate a city block in the CBD, but most likely not a drop of alcohol to be found in any of them; instead, there is a full-size noodle bar, a fresh sushi bar, a juice bar, a sit-down pasta and panini bar (complete with chef with tall white hat), and of course, an espresso bar. There is a cheese and antipasto bar which could more accurately be described as an island when considering its size. I did not make a note of the numerous countries of origin, but I would bet you a kilo of kasseri that you could find virtually any cheese (even salame!) you desire. There is even an oyster bar with accompanying glasses of champagne for pete's sake! (Okay, there is some alcohol ... )

Let's not forget the butcher's and seafood counters with anything and everything you might need for the weekend barbeque or Saturday night dinner party ... and that is only some of the fresh food they have. Did I mention they have a Green Grocer with fruits and vegetables so immaculate, so divine that you wouldn't want to pierce the perfect skins?

Not to be outdone, no so subtly positioned to the side is the Wine and Spirits department, complete with a cellar man who they claim "lives and breathes wine." I'd like to see that. Right after I raid the packaged confectioneries, which now is hopping with colorful bright-eyed aluminum foiled chocolate Easter bunnies, with ears intact, surrounded by eggs and baskets and things that make you go YUM.

Sigh. I'm hungry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home