Bloody Far

Friday, June 23, 2006

I'm Turning Japanese

Oh wait a minute ... I am.

Thus I am compelled to admit that adzuki bean cakes are one of my favorite delectable sweet treats, first discovered on holidays in Japan in 2004. And to my utmost delight, they can also be found in Sydney, at Breadtop in Chatswood.



The adzuki (also spelled azuki) bean, similar to many other crops that originated in the Far East, has existed as sustenance for China, Japan, and Korea for centuries. It surprised me to learn that it is considered the Mercedes of beans, and is one of the largest legume crops in Japan, along with the unflailingly popular and reliable soybean. Primarily it is sweetened and used as a confectionery item, in ice creams or (YUM!) red bean paste as a filling for various pastries. And for those of you out there like me that must convince yourself it is okay to eat one (or a few), may I make it easier for you by saying it's okay!! They are high in protein and low in fat. Yay!

So if you are in search of a unique, tasty, scrumptious little bit of Japan and have a lot of fabulous shopping to do in Chatswood, I can think of no better way to begin your day than a trip to Breadtop.

1 Comments:

  • Hey Jill, did you disappear off the face of the earth? Would love to hear how you're doing now that you've been in Sydney awhile... oh, Happy New year!!! Enjoy the huge fireworks display!

    By Blogger outoutout, at 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home